Little Tricks People
Play in Negotiating
At a recent AUTM (Association of University
Technology Managers) conference, some of the “dirty
tricks” used in negotiating were outlined by Robert
MacWright, John Ritter and Alan Bentley. It is important to
note the following:
“They aren’t really
dirty tricks, they are really
common negotiating strategies and tactics but
they can feel like dirty little tricks when they
happen to you”
Why do people do these things?
- Negotiation is an inherently human, and hence emotional
- When logic and persuasion fail, these are the only tools
Why talk about them?
- To help us accept and understand the strains and complexities
of the negotiating process
- To help us realize that we are all vulnerable to the
same challenges, risks and injuries
- Thinking of them as “dirty little tricks”
helps us laugh at our plight
FUNDAMENTAL DIRTY TRICKS
to download the list of fundamental dirty tricks.